Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Musings from a first-time (uncertain) blogger....

I didn't used to like blogs - I thought they were kind of silly and I didn't really get the point. Then I discovered my love of food and cooking and realized how valuable food blogs are to discover and try new recipes. In the past few months, I've become an avid reader of food blogs and am constantly searching for new recipes (particularly desserts) to try. So, I've decided to give blogging a try to share some of my experiments with other people and also document them for myself. I often throw a bunch of things together for dinner and then forget to write the recipe down. So, I'm hoping my blog will help me organize all the recipes in my head a bit better. I also love seeing photos of how recipes will (or can) turn out. I'm also hoping this blog will help me get better about taking photos of the yummy food I make.

This year, I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for my family - 11 people in total. It was my first Thanksgiving dinner and first turkey (well, not the first I'd eaten, but the first I had cooked myself). I had my camera sitting out in the kitchen the whole time and neglected to take a single picture of a completed dish. The only photos I took were of the raw turkey before I put it in the salt brine. The turkey was a heritage breed turkey - a Bourbon Red - that I got from a local farm. As I walked around the farmer's market with my turkey, I got several comments about my "mean-looking, fierce bird". With bright red white meat and purple dark meat, the turkey was quite spectacular. I'll have to post some photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment